One of the topics that has come up in discussion on what Dopsy could provide students with is advice on internationalisation. This page aims to help towards that end.

First, you should think about what you want to achieve with going abroad.

  • Is there a course or summer school that offers an interesting view to what your research is on?
  • Do you want to network with a top researcher in your field?
  • Is there some infrastructure somewhere that you want to make use of or become an expert in using?

Once you have this figured out, it’s easier to narrow down your options.

Second, ask questions. Talk to your supervisor, your colleagues, your university’s international office (contact info at the end). Local international offices usually arrange info sessions several times a year, so look into that. If there is a top researcher you think could be helpful, contact them. Most people are very willing to at least hear what ideas you have – they might even invite you over.

There are several online information sources available, and going through all of them may be a pain, but it gets easier when you know what you are looking for. For Europe, EURAXESS is an invaluable resource. The Fulbright Center is another excellent source for North America.

By now you may be wondering about options for funding. In part, this depends on your university’s own agreements, but there are a few nearly universal options listed below - not all of them will be available at your own university, though. The information on the websites is usually quite general, please refer to your own university for more specific info.

There may be other networks your university is a member of (like the Coimbra Group for UTU and ÅA, MAUI - Mid-American Universities International – for Helsinki), ask locally about those.

Your university may also have opportunities beyond the ones listed above for personnel exchange. These opportunities are generally open for all staff members, including doctoral researchers who get a salary from the university. One way to find these kinds of opportunities is through the IMOTION initiative.

Of course, you may also look into spending a longer period abroad, for example as a paid researcher as a member of a team. There are many options for this, but putting yourself out there is key to being successful in this regard. Subscribe to international email lists relevant to your research (see the excellent Psychology Resources Around the World website), attend conferences, ask around.

Contacts for university services for international exchange: